- 1 What is autism spectrum disorder?
- 2 Levels of autism
- 3 Most common characteristics within autism
- 4 Stimulos Atención Educativa s.l.
- 5 Our experience with NeuronUP
- 6 The case of one of our kids and NeuronUP
What is autism spectrum disorder?
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is a neurodevelopmental disorder characterized by atypical development in social interaction and communication skills with restricted early-onset activities and interests.
It currently affects four to five times more boys than girls, and studies estimate the following prevalence:
1/100 (Europe, 2010)
1/59 (USA, 2018)
Levels of autism
Within the autism spectrum disorder we can distinguish 3 levels of autism:
- Level 1: require some help.
- Level 2: require significant help.
- Level 3: require very significant help.
Most common characteristics within autism
- Difficulties in social-emotional reciprocity.
- Deficits in non-verbal communicative behaviors.
- Difficulties in developing and maintaining developmentally appropriate relationships.
Repetitive and restricted patterns of behavior, activities, and interests.
- Verbal, motor, or use of stereotyped or repetitive objects.
- Excessive adherence to routines, patterns of ritualized verbal and nonverbal behavior, or excessive resistance to change.
- Restricted and obsessive interests that are abnormal because of their intensity or type of content.
- Hyper- or hypo- sensory reactivity or unusual interest in aspects of the environment.
Stimulos Atención Educativa s.l.
Stimulos Atención Educativa is formed by a group of professionals who are dedicated to helping children and their families in their development, detecting early different difficulties and especially helping with preventing and minimizing as much as possible the difficulties that may present.
Stimulos began working in the nursery schools to give attention to those in need as soon as possible. And, in a relatively short time, had to expand services to families in their homes and in private clinics. It now has two facilities and deals mainly with neurodevelopmental disorders.
In order to support all these families, we have ceded one of our premises in the mornings to the ANDIAT Association so that an early attention facility could be opened to continue helping children and their families who require early attention.
The professionals at Stimulos carry out personalized interventions based on a multidisciplinary approach for each child.
Stimulos Atención Educativa has a team formed of speech therapists, psychologists, educators, occupational therapist and physiotherapists always in continuous training.
Our experience with NeuronUP
Our team uses the NeuronUP platform to work with these children with those difficulties with both executive functions and cognitive functions. But above all it is very good for us to work at the level of social cognition and theory of mind as it is difficult to find programs to work in these areas.
In this way the little ones are more motivated and do not mind including work from home as they treat it more as a game than as homework, thus promoting training from home and thus better results in treatments.
The case of one of our kids and NeuronUP
One of our 8 year old girls with level 1 autism (bearing in mind the previous manuals: Asperger’s Syndrome) has been working with NeuronUP for almost 2 years. When she is not physically in the center, she continues to train three times a week from her home reinforcing everything she is working on in the clinic.
In this case, the educator programs the upcoming activities weekly according to her previous performances. In addition, as these children work very well with routines, she has already established within her routine the use of NeuronUP. In this way, the girl can continue to improve her weak points always counting on the control of a professional, without having to leave her house, which the family also appreciates very much.
In our daily life we always have to try to motivate our children in the sessions because their progress depends a lot on it and with NeuronUP we have managed to find a very positive way to complement our work to achieve our goals.
In addition, quite frequently they launch new games on the platform, so you can always access new alternatives to work in different areas.
Autor: Sabrina Martínez Torrecillas, director and psychologist at Stimulos Atención Educativa s.l.
If you liked this post about autistic spectrum disorder told by Stimulos you may also be interested in these articles:
- Neurodevelopmental disorders: concept, types and treatment
- Autism and the Brain
- Default Mode Network. Implications in Alzheimer’s, schizophrenia and autism
- The Autism Spectrum Disorder as told by “Stimulos” - November 18, 2019
- Free lecture (in Spanish) by Javier Tirapu on neuropsychology in executive functions
- Cognitive stimulation therapy for people with mild cognitive impairment
- Course on psychotic disorders: neurocognitive assessment and rehabilitation, in social cognition and metacognition
- Basic activities of daily living: intervention for improving dressing performance with NeuronUP