Today we present an activity to order alphabetically words that you will love. It’s called Sort the Words Alphabetically. A basic activity to work on how to order different concepts, which had been requested by two professionals from different centres: Roser Fernández from the Aura Foundation, in Barcelona, and Silvia Canal from the Los Nogales Imperial Residence, in Madrid.
¿How to play Sort the Words Alphabetically?
Patients will have to order words alphabetically, as shown in the following video:
Activity of daily living
This activity can be applied in daily life to:
- Order different concepts.
- Fill in forms where they are listed in alphabetical order.
- Locate names in a list.
- Find books in a library
What cognitive function does this activity of alphabetizing words work?
This activity mainly works on working memory. The user goes through the alphabet in his mind and chooses the words he touches.
- Semantic memory because he must know the alphabet.
- Reading because the user has to identify the letters and become familiar with them.
Remember that you can customize this generator to suit each user’s capabilities.
You will be able to adjust general aspects such as the type of operation, the maximum time, whether or not you want a visible stopwatch for the activity and a warning of inactivity or modify the instructions for carrying out the activity.
And, on the other hand, the parameters, where you can choose:
- The number of words
- The words: you can choose them to be random, on a specific theme or choose them yourself according to the tastes or needs of your patients.
You can also choose the side view so that the presentation of the words is on one side or the other of the screen. This way, if the patient is left-handed or has a mobility problem, it will be much more comfortable for him to work on the tablet.
Also available on paper
This alphabetical word sorting generator is also available to work on paper. You can customize it, print it and use it with each of your patients.
If you have found this children’s worksheet useful for working on vocabulary, you may also be interested in the following blog posts:
- New children’s time estimate and planning worksheet
- Work semantic memory with the new NeuronUP worksheet!
- New kid’s worksheet to work vocabulary
- Odd or even’, the new digital worksheet to work reasoning
- New generator for children to work on semantic memory – Tidy Up the Mess
- New working memory worksheet
- The kid’s version of “Hangman” has arrived
- Generator to work processing speed with children
- Actions according to numbers news piece
- New worksheet to work mental calculations
- Improvements to worksheets notice
- Tips on cognitive stimulation with NeuronUP