Dyslexia affects between 10% and 15% of the population. However, the main problem of this disorder is in the child population (developmental dyslexia), since, in our country, education is based on reading and writing, and it is here where these people present the greatest problems. Dyslexia is a disorder of which most people do not have much knowledge, that is why, in the day of Dyslexia, from NeuronUP, we take advantage to make this disorder known a little more and thus collaborate with the people who suffer it.
Dyslexia is a disorder that is genetically transmitted, which is based on the difficulty of learning to read and write. In addition, this disorder is not due to a deficit in the intellectual quotient nor to visual or auditory problems but it seems to have as origin an alteration in the neurodevelopment.
- Lateralism problems.
- Altered spatial and temporal notions.
- Confusing words with similar pronunciation.
- Difficulty articulating or pronouncing words.
- Transposing letters, changing order and reversing numbers.
- Reading with errors and very laborious.
- Problems concentrating on reading or writing.
- Difficulty following directions and learning routines.
- Problems with balance.
- Short-term memory problems.
- Difficulty organizing thoughts.
- Problems maintaining attention.
- Difficulties in math.
- In some cases, and more in those badly managed, there is difficulty in speech.
Treatment of dyslexia
Once a child has been diagnosed with dyslexia, he or she can read at an age-appropriate and intelligent level. The treatment we can follow with these children is based on patience and willpower, in addition, we must know the child’s strengths and highlight them because they may also have emotional or self-esteem problems. Computers and new technologies are tools that can help us greatly with these children.
On the other hand, we must consider that these children need an individualized plan that fits their characteristics.
If you liked this article, you may also be interested in other articles related to language:
- Cognitive intervention with NeuronUP in a middle-aged person with language impairments
- 10 Exercises for Improving Language
- Cognitive stimulation exercises for people with Down syndrome - March 21, 2021
- Asperger Syndrome from the perspective of neuropsychology - February 18, 2021
- 5 movies depicting neurodegenerative diseases - February 11, 2021